On 21 September 2011, at 02:37, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> On 09/21/2011 12:07 AM, Stroller wrote:
>>
>> On 20 September 2011, at 16:11, James wrote:
>>> I have not kept up with the mplayer developments.
>>>
>>> Now I see:   media-video/mplayer2
>>> and media-video/mplayer
>>>     Available versions:  1.0_rc4_p20101114
>>>

>>> Any quick education on mplayer 2 would be appreciated.
>>
>> I believe this would be better described as Uoti Urpala's mplayer.
>>
>> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2010-May/064672.html
>>
>> The misunderstanding seems largely that to me - a misunderstanding between
>> the Uoti and the other mplayer devs - rather than any kind of deliberate
>> aggravation. I suspect that Uoti's version may well actually be better, but
>> it's not "official" mplayer.
>
> It's official mplayer2 ;-)

I know you're trying to be funny, but this statement risks confusing people.

The mplayer2.org webpage says it's a fork, Uoti posts on the mplayer2 mailing
lists. I'm pretty sure it's got nothing to do with mplayer.hu, the "official
mplayer" (your use of "2" noted).

This blog post suggests it may be worthwhile:
http://mso-chronicles.blogspot.com/2011/03/mplayer2-experimental-package.html

- .mkv ordered chapters [1]
- ffmpeg multithreading support
- improved frame-dropping (??)

The mplayer2 site also says improved support for nVidia VDPAU.

Stroller.

[1] does regular mplayer not support .mkv chapters, or is this the ability to
play in order chapters that are stored out of order in the file?