> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 7:12 AM, Spidey / Claudio <spide...@gmail.com>
> Between the Gentoo Handbook and Google
> (... )I didn't even know there was a better way of managing wireless networks!

This is exactly the problem.

I'm working on rewriting the Handbook's page on setting up wifi, but
I'm going to need some time to get into the Live-Environments to test
that my new version works :P I'll post a draft here & would appreciate
comments before I submit the bug report.

On 26 September 2011 15:51, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On the other hand reading through the examples/comments for
> /etc/conf.d/net and wpa_supplicant.conf takes the whole of 10-20
> minutes.

I absolutely disagree with this - while editing /etc/conf.d/net is
fine, wpa_supplicant.conf requires a pretty solid understanding of
both the network that you're trying to connect to, and the various
protocols/encryption mechanisms available. Back when I was first
trying to get wireless working on my systems, it was a major stumbling
block.

The gentoo install is pretty tough going for the average new user,
with a lot of separate areas of new competence without getting into
wireless (assuming that they have a reasonable understanding of
computing to start). An additional 10-20 minutes of user intervention
is quite significant overhead.

JB