On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 3:37 PM, pk <pete...@coolmail.se> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Happened upon this interview with Linus Torvalds that some of you might
> find interesting (if you haven't seen it already):
>
> http://h30565.www3.hp.com/t5/Feature-Articles/Linus-Torvalds-s-Lessons-on-Software-Development-Management/ba-p/440

Yeah, I just saw that. Admittedly, when I saw this section:

--begin-section--

I'll add at this point that this isn't just a programmer problem. I've
seen entire companies get locked into the idea that “perfecting” the
program was everything. They then neglected what the users wanted from
the program, supporting the users and so on. Most of us who've been in
the business for a while have seen this cycle play out over and over
again.

Expanding on that second point, Torvalds says that's why the Linux
kernel team is “so very anal about the whole ‘no regressions’ thing,
for example. Breaking the user experience in order to ‘fix’ something
is a totally broken concept; you cannot do it. If you break the user
experience, you may feel that you have ‘fixed’ something in the code,
but if you fixed it by breaking the user, you just violated that
second point; you thought the code was more important than the user.
Which is not true.”

--end-section--

I immediately thought of the udev thread.

--
:wq