On 26 September 2011 20:29, Jonas de Buhr <jonas.de.b...@gmx.net> wrote:
>>> between a fully-signed system (Windows 9 / OS XI or so) or a cracked
>>> boot, with little in the way of switching between the two, at least
>>> initially
>>
>>And you really need not worry about it, some geek (Torvalds?) will
>>surely find out a way.
>
> yes, there will most likely be a technical way to circumvent it. the
> problem is that involved companies might try (and likely succeed) to
> make that illegal.

Unfortunately, under the DMCA, breaking any encryption /
copy-protection mechanism is illegal under US copyright law of all
things (and by extension, globally :-/ ). I listened to a pretty
interesting debate about this related to the "Right to Repair" act in
the States, which relates to the right to access car firmware /
software. The consensus seems to be that the pitifully easy-to-crack
encryption is only there so that the software becomes covered by the
DMCA. What a mess.