>>> Has anyone dealt with this successfully?  I'd love to
>>> know how you did it.
>>

> You're right to worry about this....and I suspect it's also aging
> related.  The older I get, the more sensitive I am to how many
> hours/day is healthy.
>
> I don't think there is a perfect solution, especially as more and more
> important things in life require an internet device of some kind.
> It's not uncommon for me to spend 2-3hrs researching something, up to
> 8hrs working, and then have 2 hrs of other emails/social/community
> stuff all in one day that involve computers.
> 12 hours/day in a roughly fixed position indoors is never ever going
> to be healthy.  Especially if it must be kept up for years and years
> as one gets older.
>
> So, I've gathered ideas from others and have come up with my own
> recommendations:
> a) avoid going to the computer if you can be doing something else and
> don't need to be there (once I'm at a computer, there is always
> something that can make me stay there so avoiding being there in first
> place is important)
> b) stand up and take brief walks for whatever at least once/hour while working
> c) recent research suggests that taking vitamin d tablets starting in
> ones thirties can have a significant impact on relieving some of the
> sunlight/lack of being outdoor issues
> d) try to go to the gym or do some signficant exercise to start the
> day, this can possibly trick your metabolism to run faster all day
> long
> e) what many people do, I find, is simply have days where you don't
> touch the computer (briefly check cell phone but thats it)
> f) try to find something in your daily routine that will take you
> outdoors for at least an hour/day, preferably longer (can be harder
> for those of us who telecommute)
> g) try to build regular activities with your family/friends that
> involve outdoor recreation (build a home pool/take up swimming
> laps/etc)
>
> Nothing will completely remove the fact that modern life is
> increasingly unhealthy, but the above is at least a good start.
>
> Matt

Thanks to everyone for your feedback.  It's something I've struggled
with for a long time and it only seems to be getting worse.  It's
great to read what others have to say on the subject.  I'm amazed that
it isn't brought up more often.  I will be working with these new
ideas and will report back.

One thing I just tried today was turning down the brightness on my
screen and increasing the font size.  I think it helps.

- Grant