One of the servers I manage has a strange problem.

Every 24h, someone starts a process shows up as perl in the list, but
launching command is /usr/sbin/httpd.
It shows just one process, but when I run something like this:

ps -C perl -o cmd,pid

I get some 5-6 processes alternatively with cmd as /usr/sbin/httpd or
/usr/bin/perl.

The even more interesting thing is, /usr/sbin/httpd does not exist.
I suspect a rootkit, but chkrootkit & rkhunter reported nothing.

Also, I found a mysterious file: /tmp/ips.txt with following content:
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
127.0.0.1
addr:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
addr:
addr:127.0.0.1
addr:

Somebody is aware of a malware/rootkit which creates such files?

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
http://nileshgr.com