On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Paul,
>>   Would hdparm be advisable if the drive was part of a RAID? I suspect not.
>>
>>   I don't think this applies to the OP but for the sake of discussion
>> why not include RAID as part of the solution, if possible.
>
> I use hdparm to set power-saving on all members of my RAID5 and it
> works (in my case, I'm setting them to never spin-down). I created a
> file /etc/local.d/hd-power-level-fix.start containing one line:
>
> hdparm -B 254 /dev/sd[abcdef]
>
> which automatically sets those drives to never spin down.
>
> In my original recommendation, I hadn't considered hdparm's "spindown
> immediately" option. I was thinking of the -B command like I used
> above, to adjust the "spin down after X idle time" option. If all
> members of the RAID have the same idle time they'll probably all spin
> up and down together under normal usage (well, depending what kind of
> RAID it is, I suppose). In my case, I found the "click, whirr, click,
> whirr, click, whirr, click, whirr, click, whirr" waiting for 5 disks
> to spin-up when I accessed the RAID annoying, so I disabled it. (I
> have not done any power-consumption measurements to see what that's
> costing me...)

My worry was that if the mdraid daemon saw one drive gone - either
when starting to spin down or when one spins up slowly - and if mdraid
didn't understand that all this stuff was taking place intentionally
then it might mark that drive as having failed.

I can see the utility of spinning down a RAID in something like a home
video server where I keep movies. The machine could be on, ready to
serve a movie, but the drives aren't drawing much power.

I suspect that there's a pretty substantial power savings on a big
RAID if done right, but I haven't done any measurements either.

Cheers,
Mark