On 2011-10-07, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 3:32 PM, James <wirel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I read somewhere that inkscape (in portage)
>> can open and allow some manipulation of
>> Visio files. Anyone got any experience
>> with inkscape and visio files?
>
> Haven't messed with visio files in years, and then only with Visio.
>

>> Emerging inkscape, it required 12 new packages
>> to be install too. What must I do to ensure that
>> when I unemerge ??inkscape, the other 12 packages
>> are also removed?
>
> Roughly speaking,
>
> emerge -p --depclean
>
> will show you what packages are installed which you didn't explicitly
> ask for, and which are no longer depended upon by any
> explicitly-selected packages.

[...]

> Remove the -p to have portage go ahead and try to remove them. (But
> you might see something you want to have remain, which is why you
> should use -p first)

If you do see packages that you want to keep, but aren't required by
anything else, you can manually add them to your "world" file (usually
/var/lib/portage/world) to protect them from removal by "emerge
--depclean" in the future. IIRC, I had to do that to keep portage from
removing Python 2 a while back.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! PUNK ROCK!!  DISCO
                                  at               DUCK!!  BIRTH CONTROL!!