Hi Raffaele,
"Gentoo Cross Development Guide" is deprecated in favour of Gentoo Embedded
project, which so far seems to suit my needs. I had a quick look on
CodeSourcery's products a few days ago, but in freely available version they
don't seem to offer me more than toolchain compiled with crossdev. Maybe I'm
wrong and if I'll get stuck I'll give them a go. AFAIK the biggest
disadvantage of crossdev-created toolchain, compared to other cross
compilation tools, is that without usage of emulator (like qemu-user) it is
not possible to compile things that use in their configure scipts checks
that need to be run on the target architecture (like Perl).
Sticking to arm-none-linux-gnueabi-emerge offers quite a lot of comfort so
far, so I'll see where I can get.
Thanks for your tips!

Peter