On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:52:54PM -0500, Dale wrote
>
>> Or lspci -k would tell what driver the CD was using, if sound worked
>> which I bet it did.
>
>  That tells me which *DRIVER* is in use (so does "lspci -v" for that
> matter).  It does *NOT* tell me the *AUDIO CODEC*.  "lspci -k" shows...
>
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio
> Controller (rev 02)
>        Subsystem: Dell Device 020d
>        Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel

Yeah, the intel_hda system is pretty funky. My understanding is that
the API is essentially a programmable plugboard connecting the various
DSPs on the chip, and that the "codec" is a mapping of which pins
connect to which.

Kinda neat, actually. You'd think someone clever would try expressing
that interface more intuitively to the user.

--
:wq