On 10/17/2011 07:12 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 05:08:51AM -0700, walt wrote:
Have a look at gnome-extra/gcursor.

Just done that.  I've installed it, and it gives just four choices, all
of which have the border I don't like or (even worse) a shadow.  Other
than that it gives a file selector, which doesn't seem to be of any use.

What I want is to just to get back the plain black icons I had before.

Install a cursor theme you like. They're in the x11-themes group. Personally I use x11-themes/vanilla-dmz-xcursors.

The default X.Org cursors are in the package "x11-themes/xcursor-themes". It provides three cursor themes: "whiteglass", "redclass" and "handhelds".

The plain black cursor that most people refer to as "default" is actually part of KDE. I assume that Gnome also had something similar and they might have dropped them in recent versions (it might suck for you, but people simply don't like them :-P) You can see what cursors are installed in /usr/share/cursors/xorg-x11/. If it's not there, you can't use it.

Again, I recommend you give "x11-themes/vanilla-dmz-xcursors" (white) and "x11-themes/vanilla-dmz-aa-xcursors" (black) a try. It's what most Gnome distros use (the Oxygen cursors of KDE are a disaster.)

To see all packages providing cursor theme:

  eix x11-themes/ | grep -i cursor