On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 7:07 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan
<cont...@nileshgr.com> wrote:
> On 10/20/2011 06:57 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan
>> <cont...@nileshgr.com> wrote:

>>> Did you just do emerge gnome (assumging that >=gnome-base/gnome-3.0 is
>>> in package.unmask)? I'll try doing that again then, till now autounmask
>>> was active.
>>
>> I did emerge =gnome-base/gnome-3.2.0, and unmasked/keyworded by hand
>> the necessary packages. But maybe just check that the "**" is not in
>> any file on /etc/portage/package.keyworks/* (except perhaps the ones
>> I'm using). If there is no "**" keyworkd, no non-live ebuild should be
>> installed.
>>
>> Oh, and also in /etc/portage/package.unmask/*, of course.
>>
>> Good luck.
>
> BTW, which overlays did you use?
> I tried after reading (translated version of) german guide on the web
> these - gnome, keruspe, suka, rubenqba

I just have the gnome overlay, but I don't use layman. I just.

git clone git://git.overlays.gentoo.org/proj/gnome.git

put the resulting gnome dir in my PORTDIR_OVERLAY environment variable
in /etc/make.conf, and then

emerge -v =gnome-base/gnome-3.2.0

When I want to see if the overlay has updated, I just "git pull" it.
Also, I'm on amd64, not ~amd64 (i.e., I'm on stable). The GNOME stack,
udev and systemd are the only unstable packages in my system (except
for perhaps a couple of other seldom used programs).

I'm carrying my laptop around the globe, so NetworkManager has become
almost indispensable for me; I haven't touched
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf in months, and I can connect
to all kind of networks.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés