Hi all,

Im building an x86 embedded distro using gentoo. Now i have been rather
successful. I have built the whole system and it works, while only
taking up 9mb (when gzipped).

Now my question is how to get linux to load the gzipped image file into
a ramdisk and use it as a root filesystem.

Running the system directly from the CF card works great, but when
trying to get it to run it in ram it fails
with "kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0)".

My attempt at running the system from ram is as follows:

(grub config file):

kernel /vmlinuz    initrd=/rootfs.gz   root=/dev/ram0

the rootfs.gz file is ~10Mb, and when uncompressed is an 100mb image
(most of the image is free space to
allow for future additions, this is a test bed).

Now I presume this is probably what is incorrect, in which case can
anyone help me regarding how to use
ramdisks as root devices. (googling about tells me that the initrd image
is not the root image, but rather
a pre-root mounting fs to prepare the system for booting).

P.S Please CC me as this mailinglist doesnt play nice with my email
account. thanks!