On 10/22/2011 02:18 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 10:13:53 -0400
> Valmor de Almeida <val.gen...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You probably don't have a correct /etc/conf.d/net file.  Try:
>>>
>>>    modules="dhcpcd"
>>>    config_eth0="dhcp"
>>>

>> I have other gentoo laptops/machines and I typically leave this file
>> empty. They all work with wicd in wired and wireless mode.
>
> Correct.
>
> wicd does not use /etc/conf.d/net at all, it has it's own mechanisms.
>
> /etc/conf.d/net is used by the Gentoo network scripts, an entirely
> different thing from wicd

Any inputs on why I need to issue

 dhcpcd eth0

for this particular install. The ethernet card is Broadcom NetXtreme
BCM5764M Gigabit Ethernet PCIe. I have the right driver built into the
kernel. All works but as I said, wicd does work from boot. After logging
in I need to get an IP address manually.

Don't know what I am missing.

Thanks,

--
Valmor