Florian Philipp wrote:
Am 06.11.2011 15:26, schrieb Dale:
Mick wrote:
Can you set in your BIOS which controller IDE or SATA manages the
drives? I'm not sure why you have a symlink to your /usr/src/linux
files from /boot (I don't understand it). In /boot you should have the
image files themselves of your desired kernels (plus corresponding
System and .config files).
I can but it seems to do the same thing either way.  I don't reboot much
so maybe it is something in my head.  I'm pretty sure it used to list
the drives on the main BIOS screen then when the controller screen comes
up it detects them for AHCI.  What gets me is them not being seen while
I am in the BIOS itself.  I know it used to see them there.  Whenever I
add a drive or something, I check to make sure it sees everything
correctly before I even boot my OS.  That way if I have a bad cable or
forgot to connect something, I can fix it without booting and having to
shutdown again.  Saves time.

Another idea: Do the disks spin up fast enough? Maybe the disks are not
ready in time to be picked up by the first BIOS screen. Then when they
spin up, they are detected by AHCI (which is hot-plug capable) just in
time for loading Grub.

Did you add any new hardware recently? I remember you wanted to install
new disks. Maybe your power supply cannot take the load and this delays
things. I've never seen this particular problem but this
bootup-powerspike is the reason why large disk arrays typically start
one disk after the other.

Actually it does the same even when I am rebooting. The drives don't spin down when rebooting right?. It is a heck of a thought tho. Just for the record, I have a 650 watt P/S in this beast. I got one plenty large enough to handle anything that would fit, except a space heater of course. lol I think I hear foldingathome calling. It's starting to get cold. As soon as the day temps cool off, folding will be running.

No new hardware yet. I do plan to add a drive or two tho. I just haven't got around to finding one yet. I did check all the connections tho, power and data. And now that it is booted, everything seems to work like usual.

I copy my kernels by hand.  Always have.  It appears that under arch is
x86 and x86_64 and I copied from x86_64.  Thing is, that is only a
symlink to x86 so it becomes a link in /boot instead.  Well, when grub
tries to follow the link, root is not mounted yet and it can't see the
file.  So, this one was on me.  I got to remember not to copy from the
x86_64 even tho I have a 64 bit rig.

Odd thing. I never noticed they were symlinks. A simple `sudo cp ...`
does the right thing here. Did you use `cp -a`, maybe through an alias?

I do use -av out of habit. That habit started when I was copying installs from one drive to another. I don't think I have any aliases anymore. It would be good if I just copied the right thing. :/

I did download a new sysrescue thingy. Maybe it is just a bad version or something or just a bad file on the stick. Still not sure about the BIOS part tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)