On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Grant <emailgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>>> The problem with my current push-style layout is that if one of the 3
>>> machines is compromised, the attacker can delete or alter the backup
>>> of the compromised machine on the backup server.  I can rsync the
>>> backups from the backup server to another machine, but if the backups
>>> are deleted or altered on the backup server, the rsync'ed copy on the
>>> next machine will also be deleted or altered.
>>
>> As a final stage in your backup, could you trigger a 'pull'-style
>> backup copying the data image to a more secure area? How about setting
>
> Even if I pull a copy of the backup to a separate machine from the
> backup server, it will pull an altered copy if an attacker compromises
> one of the systems being backed up and alters that system's backup on
> the backup server.  Am I missing something?

If you're not applying any kind of versioning, it doesn't matter if
you're pushing or pulling; your backup will eventually be overwritten
by a backup of a hacked system unless you catch and respond as soon as
the original invasion happens. So it sounds like the scenario you fear
isn't tied to the mechanism you're reconsidering.

--
:wq