On Nov 14, 2011 6:01 AM, "Mick" <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 13 Nov 2011 19:45:38 Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> > Wow! That certainly qualifies for the simple part! The trick seemed to
> > be to cd to the video directory before running python, but once I did
> > that I am able to get video.
> >
> > One 'problem' if you will is the video isn't streaming but rather the
> > whole file is being copied and then xine is being run. That leads to
> > no disk space over time.
>
> It is not streaming, because you are not running a streaming server and
in all
> likelihood the video file is not in 'streaming' media format.  Therefore
when
> you click on the link the ipod downloads a complete file.

Actually, if the server supports the byte-range option (i.e., ability to do
random access 'seek') AND the server returns the proper Content-Type
header, then the server can stream.

> > Is this a function of Firefox being set up to use xine as opposed to
> > some other app or plugin? I'd really like to understand a little more
> > about getting it to stream instead of copy, if possible.
>
> You can have a true streaming server (MMS, RTP, RTSP) or you can have a
> webserver (HTTP) which serves streaming media format files.
>
> Have you tried setting up vlc as a streaming server on your PC?  It will
also
> transcode files into streaming media.

That will make the server neither light nor simple, though :-)

> > None the less it's an interesting start. Thanks!!
>
> I'm pretty much clueless in python so can't interpret the messages -
hopefully
> someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Neither am I, but it seems SimpleHTTPServer is too simple.

Rgds,