On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 13:49:07 +0000
James Broadhead <jamesbroadh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 November 2011 20:09, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 18:58:22 +0000
> > James Broadhead <jamesbroadh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Seeing as the ebuild is 'aware' of CFLAGS and USE, it would be nice
> >> if it would use that information (roughly) to determine how much
> >> space to check for.
> >>
> >> 4-9GiB is a pretty wide range.
> >
> > A slight mis-measurement on how much space a specific setup needs
> > results in a failed build, or a build that won't start or any
> > amount of other craziness.
> >
> > Read the maintainer's blog sometime (it's on the gentoo.org
> > frontpage) to get a sense of what it takes to maintain that bitch
> > of a project. Something as simple as figuring out what packages
> > LibreOffice bundles and making the ebuild use the system one
> > instead is a mammoth task. Don't forget that every little tweak is
> > 2 hours of building just to test if it builds. Then one has to test
> > if it works....
> >
> > I'm not surprised the OOo and LibreOffice ebuilds take the easy
> > route - figure out by enabling everything the maximum amount of
> > free space OOo ould possibly need to build, then insist the build
> > host has at least that much free. Heck, I'd do exactly the same.
>
> I read the blogs, and I'm well aware of the difficulties. I suppose
> I'm pretty used to running my laptop pretty close to the wire
> space-wise, and so an ebuild asking for 9GiB when it only requires
> 5GiB would cause me to have to shuffle a lot of things around to no
> good end.
>
> Really though, it would be replacing one (inaccurate, but
> conservative) estimate with two such estimates.

Where are you getting your information from?

9G is what the dev reckons is the maximum. This other figure of 4G -
what is that? The amount needed by some arb combination on some arb
user's machine? That's not a good enough criteria.

It's not really the maximum plus one well-defined other. It's is the
maximum plus every other possible combination (there is no defined
minimal).

If it's an issue for you, the solution is simple - keep a copy of the
ebuild in your local overlay and edit the space requirements. Keep it up
to date and in-sync with the ebuild in the main tree. It means you get
to a little extra work, but is preferable to the dev doing a lot of
extra work

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com