Well, at least on ~x86 and ~amd64 gnome3 is the default now.  I have
mixed feelings about gnome3, so I let gentoo install it on a VirtualBox
VM to start with and I'll think about updating my real machines later.

The new gnome-shell is the controversial piece of gnome3 and (so far)
I find it counterproductive.

I googled how to disable the gnome-shell and get my gnome-panel back,
along with the panel applets that I refuse to give up.  (The gnome-
shell replaces the gnome-panel, so there is nowhere to run the old
applets.)

If you want to disable gnome-shell you can do it with the System Info
function in System Settings.  Click the Graphics icon and enable the
gnome-fallback setting to disable gnome-shell.  Ah, much better :)