How did you know to rebuild pam?

Both /lib64/libc.so.6 and /lib64/libcrypt.so.1 are from glibc, and I
interpret your error as  'libcrypt.so.1 couldn't find a GLIBC_2.14
version of /lib64/libc.so.6', which doesn't make any sense to me as
both files are from the same package. How could the version dependency
between them be incorrect?