On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 08:36:56 +1100, Paul Colquhoun <paul...@andor.dropbear.id.au> wrote:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 11:29:16 PM Dale wrote:
Paul Colquhoun wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 07:28:50 PM Albert W. Hopkins wrote:
>> On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 11:01 +1100, Paul Colquhoun wrote:
>>> Some research tells me that this is a problem with SATA CD-ROMs, and
>>> needs a
>>> kernel configured with the libata module option atapi_enabled=1
>>>
>>> Does anybody know of a Live CD that will work with a SATA CD drive?
>>
>> AFAIK most (all) modern computers that have CDROM drives are SATA, at >> least the one i bought a couple of years ago does.. so I'm wondering
>> if
>> your problem is not that you have a SATA CDROM but something else.
>>
>> Have you tried boot media other than the Gentoo livecd?
>
> Actually I had tried 4 boot media *other* *than* the Gentoo livecd, for
> the simple reason that I thought they had stopped making them!
>
> Stupid me.
>
> Looking at the Gentoo download page, they have an AMD64 minimal install
> CD image created just days ago.
>
> The Gentoo livecd works! I should have looked there first and saved
> myself a lot of trouble (and 4 blank CDs!).

Could it be something in the BIOS maybe? My rig that I built last year has a SATA CD/DVD burner and it boots Gentoo CDs, Knoppix, systemrescue and another that I can't recall. Knotix (?) or something. It should
work.  You may want to try systemrescue if you haven't already.  I'd
figure this out before something happens and you have to boot something
to fix it.

Dale

:-)  :-)

It may be something in the BIOS, but I didn't change anything between the other livecds NOT working, and the Gentoo one working, so the Gentoo livecd
seems to have done something different.

I have been running SATA-DVD drive (ok not CD) for a few years with no problems with reading or writing from either Gentoo-Linux or Windoze