What is multilib and how can I use it?

Every AMD64 processor is able to run 32bit code as well as 64bit code.
However, when you have a 32bit application, you are unable to mix it with
64bit libraries or vice versa. You can, however, natively run 32bit
applications if all shared libraries it needs are available as 32bit
objects. You can choose whether you want multilib support or not by
selecting the according profile. The default is a multilib-enabled profile.

*Warning: *Currently you cannot switch from a no-multilib to a
multilib-enabled profile, so think over your decision twice before you use
the no-multilib profile.
source: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-amd64-faq.xml#multilib

----
Linux Blog: http://xtreme-linux.blogspot.com/