On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 7:22 AM, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just wanted to share an experience I had today with optimizing parallel
> builds after discovering "-l" for Make...
>
> I've got a little more tweaking I still want to do, but this is pretty
> awesome...
>
> http://funnybutnot.wordpress.com/2011/11/26/optimizing-parallel-builds/
>
> ZZ

Good post Michael. Thanks.

I want to verify that in make.conf this is indeed MAKEOPTS we are
talking about and not EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS.

Currently for my i7-980x (6 physical cores + hyper threading = 12
logical cores) I have:

MAKEOPTS="-j3"
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y "
PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND="ionice -c 3 -p \${PID}"

I generally keep -j small day-to-day to allow emerge to work more or
less the background while I'm using the machine for other things. If I
was going to do an emerge -e @world then in the past I'd push it up
for 13. (N+1)

I've not used the -l option but it sounds interesting. If I understand
the then you're suggesting in /etc/make.conf

MAKEOPTS="-j13 -l7"

or something in that range for a full blown emerge -e @world?

- Mark