Somewhere deep in the bowels of portage my 'introspection' useflag is
vanishing -- but on just one of my three machines.

I set the introspection useflag on all three machines (two ~amd64 and
one ~x86) but when I run emerge --info, only two of the machines show
the introspection useflag in the output.  Why?

All three machines share the same /usr/portage by NFS, so they all
see the same use.mask and use.force files, etc.

I'm running the default linux desktop gnome profile on all three.

I tried deleting my /etc/portage/* on the problem machine, which made
no difference.

I even tried using an empty make.conf and adding the single line
USE="introspection", but that made no difference either.

When I flip other useflags in make.conf the changes show up in the
output of emerge --info, but not when I flip 'introspection'.

Two days wasted and I'm out of ideas.

Anyone understand the details of emerge --info or what I can do to
diagnose this problem?