--- Holly Bostick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> maxim wexler schreef:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > Sound files played fine prior to the update.
> >
> > When unit boots speakers thump at "Loading:
> > snd-seq-oss..."as before.
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ lsmod
> > Module                  Size  Used by
> > fglrx                 238332  0
> > agpgart                33320  1 fglrx
> > ppp_deflate             6272  0
> > zlib_deflate           22680  1 ppp_deflate
> > zlib_inflate           18304  1 ppp_deflate
> > ppp_async              11392  1
> > crc_ccitt               2176  1 ppp_async
> > ppp_generic            23828  6
> ppp_deflate,ppp_async
> > slhc                    7680  1 ppp_generic
> > snd_pcm_oss            58784  0
> > snd_mixer_oss          19584  1 snd_pcm_oss
> > snd_seq_oss            33024  0
> > snd_seq_midi_event      7424  1 snd_seq_oss
> > snd_seq                54416  4
> > snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
> > snd_seq_device          8844  2
> snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
> > uhci_hcd               31244  0
> > rtc                     8212  0
> > ohci1394               32900  0
> > ieee1394              103220  1 ohci1394
> > snd_intel8x0           31040  0
> > snd_ac97_codec         69760  1 snd_intel8x0
> > snd_pcm                93320  3
> > snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
> > snd_timer              24836  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
> > snd                    56452  10
> > snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_m

idi_event,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
> > soundcore               9184  1 snd
> > snd_page_alloc         10372  2
> snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
> > ohci_hcd               29448  0
> > ntfs                  207668  1
> > displays
> >
> > Sound files "play" but without sound and without
> any
> > sort of error. Nothing in dmesg, messages amiss.
> > alsasound(newly created in /etc/init.d) is listed
> in
> > /etc/runlevels/boot and properly linked.
> >
> > Only hint that something is wrong: boot console
> fails
> > to display mixer settings as before.
> >
> > Yes, my username *is* in the audio group.
> >
> > Must be something simple, but what?
> >

> Idea #1: Put alsasound in default, rather than boot
> runlevel. There is
> no use for sound in the boot runlevel, and having it
> there often causes
> (weird, inexplicable) problems.

Doesn't work. madplay gives the error

Audio: esd_open_sound() failed

but the other players xmms, ogg123, mpg123 churn away
as if nothing was wrong

> Idea #2: might something have gone wonky with your
> mixer settings?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ amixer
[...]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 25 [81%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 25 [81%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Surround',0