On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 6:20 PM, Grant Edwards
<grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2011-11-30, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I was considering making a copy of this DVD to keep for bug testing
>> in the future. I'm wondering how to make a copy of a DVD movie at the
>> command line? All the things I'm finding in Google point to dvd::rip
>> or other GUI apps. I tried a simple dd copy, ala
>>
>> dd if=/dev/dvd of=Movie.iso
>>
>> but that fails also.
>
> That will only work with unencrypted DVDs.
>
> I use dvdbackup, and it hasn't failed me yet.
>
> --
> Grant

Thanks to all three of you for your answers. Seeing them I remember
Neil suggesting vobcopy when I was first looking into ripping DVDs to
play on my Kindle.

I need to study all the suggestions. If it wasn't clear, being that
this problem with handbrake crashing occurs when it attempts to rip a
physical CD I'll also want to determine how to recreate a new physical
CD that causes the same problem so that I can evaluate fixes to
handbrake whenever they come along.

Again, thanks for your inputs.

Cheers,
Mark