On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 10:50:37AM +0000, Stroller wrote:

> On 1 December 2011, at 10:42, Dale wrote:
> >> sys-apps/renameutils should be installed on every system, IMO, and aliased
> >> thus in your .bashrc:
> >>
> >> alias qmv="qmv -f do"
> >> alias qcp="qcp -f do"
> >>
> >> Set $EDITOR to vi, and renaming TV shows becomes quick and easy.
> >
> > vi?  O_O  Would nano not work?  I got stuck in vi once.  I felt like I was
> > in Hotel California.  :/   Got that tune in your head now huh?  lol
> >
> > I'm going to see what else is available too.  I bet since Krename is
> > installed, rename is installed too.  I'm sure Krename is just a GUI front
> > end to something already on here.
>
> nano would work.
>
> When you use renameutils in --format=destination-only (`-f do`) mode, you
> just get a list of current file names in your text editor. You change them to
> the new names you desire and when you save the text file (and exit) the
> rename is completed. If you make such an error that you don't want the
> changes to apply you exit the text editor without saving.

Ha, I didn’t know that, thanks. If it became necessary to do a search and
replace, I block-selected the first column and cut it into a register, anothe
buffer, or just deleted it away and at the end of editing, refetched the list
of files using :r !ls.

PS.: This mail was written in vi because I left KMail out of frustration for
the time being. ;-)
--
:x
:q