On Friday 19 August 2005 02:05 pm, Daniel Drake wrote:
> Michael W. Holdeman wrote:
> > Actually the problem is /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 has been the cdrom since this
> > machine got Gentoo, now all the sudden it is listed in dmesg as /dev/hdc.
>
> dmesg has listed it like that for a long time. Chances are in your previous
> configuration (whatever that was) you had both /dev/hdc and
> /dev/cdroms/cdrom0, one was the real node and one was a symlink. On my
> system, cdrom0 is a symlink to hdc.
>
> > This is probably all related to a baselayout problem, KDE is messed up
> > with kdesu, I can't upgrade my nvidia-kernel, and nvidia-glx above
> > 1.0.7174 or I get version mismatches.....
>
> Sounds like /usr/src/linux is incorrect or you just need to reload the
> nvidia module after upgrading.

No the problem seems to be that emerging nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx builds the
files but somehow actually installs teh new gls, and not the new kernel. I
don't know why, there have been a few bug reports about this but I can't seem
to solve it with either.
weird thing it has happened since 1.0.7174 as this seems to work fine. If I
upgrade and can't start x I just downgrade to this version on both and works
fine..

Mike

--

Michael W. Holdeman