Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, I see the latest screenshot now. Must have missed that one.
>
> Harry, that error almost always indicates you do not have the drivers
> for PIIX compiled into the kernel. I assume you are not using an
> initramfs so that driver must be compiled in, not a module.
>
> In make menuconfig, it's found at Device Drivers -> Serial ATA and
> Parallel ATA drivers

Those are selected as builtin

> Similar for the file system driver (presumably ext2|3|4) for the
> partition hosting /boot, that too must be compiled in (not a module)

Ditto here

That is for the new attempt... I have yet to try booting it, but from
your suggestions it sounds like I may have it right this time.

I posted another screen grab but never saw it show up here.  Trying again

   http://www.jtan.com/~reader/vu3/disp.cgi

Note:
The first image (filename Driver.png) doesn't show the last 10/12 lines
of menuconfig due to monitor constraints, but they are all unselected.