On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dual boot scenarios get tricky, it is vital to assume nothing. You left
> out a lot of info, so I have to make some reasonable assumptions. Reply
> with corrections if we're going to wrong route.
>
> You can only have one primary bootloader, either grub from Gentoo or
> grub2 from Mint, it cannot be both. But it looks like that's what you
> do have. Seeing as you intend to drop Mint eventually, you must
> uninstall grub2 and all it's files from Mint.

Not *exactly* true.

Grub can chainload any bootloader that's visible to BIOS. At minimum,
that means you could have grub on /dev/sda chainload grub on /dev/sdb.
I'm uncertain if it means you could chainload a bootloader stored in
the first 512 bytes of /dev/sda8, but I suspect so.

> Your supplied grub.conf will only work if you have a boot -> . symlink
> present on /dev/sda1. Gentoo normally does this for you.

So do most distros I've touched. Just an FYI.

I think your instructions will work fine for him, though. I was going
to offer some grub1 stanzas, but I wasn't sure if real_root was
necessary.

--
:wq