On 12/06/2011 06:55 AM, Rudmer van Dijk wrote:
Bill Longman wrote:
is there a way to list all -- for exmaple -- audio related
applications without without being burried under audio related
system libs for example or entries with (also as an exmaple)
"this application does not supprt audio but only imageing"

I want the full dexcription, not only the heade line...

Here's one way that I like to look for these, Meino:

eix --stable -c -S audio

Obviously there's no easy way to get a noise-free listing of what you
want, but I've often found looking for text in the description with the
-S is a useful method.

well, there is this: (don't forget the trailing slash!)

`eix -c media-sound/`

but for a whole category you'll definitely want to use '-c', there is so
much... but all audio related even without audio in the name or
description.

If you know your application lives in a specific category, then you should use the "-C category". But Meino's question specifically asked how to get ANY audio related application out of all of portage. That means you have to search WITHOUT a category, unless of course you are doing searches through each individual category in search of some string.

The lowercase -c compresses the output to include the header. The uppercase -C forces a category. You can use wildcards on categories, for instance, "-C sci-* ks" returns entries from sci-{chemistry,electronics,libs,visualization}.