On 8 December 2011 14:41, Jarry <mr.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08-Dec-11 12:26, James Broadhead wrote:
>
>>> I do not want to upgrade to baselayout-2, but I want to
>>> re-emerge system. So how can I do it now, when all 1.x
>>> versions have been removed from portage?
>>

>> I think that the standard answer is "you can't". I mean, you could
>> fetch an old copy of the ebuild from cvs, and add it to a local
>> overlay, but you'd be completely unsupported (unsupportable?).
>>
>> A better question would be - Why do you want to?
>

> This server is ~50 miles away, and if I screw something
> and it does not boot up, I will have to go there and fix it
> on place. One small typo in ~50 config-files which must be
> updated is just enough to cause it...
>
> Anyway I'm surprised that everything older than 2.0.3
> has been simply thrown overboard, especially while it
> worked for us without a problem for many years...

Personally, I quite like baselayout-2, and had a smooth time upgrading
my 3 boxes - two in advance of stabilisation and one which did the
baselayout upgrade as part of a normal upgrade. I only noticed when
the latter asked me to merge the config files :P

I suppose that your options for packages which depend back to
baselayout are to hack their various config files / init scripts to
make them baselayout-1 compatible, or to avoid upgrading them.

You could clone your current install into a new /root, upgrade and set
grub to boot into /root one time only, then to fall back to /bakroot.
Slightly outside my expertise, but grub can be told to boot one option
by default just once, and then to return to a different default
subsequently.

Good luck!