On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 10:18 AM, James Broadhead
<jamesbroadh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 December 2011 15:10, LinuxIsOne <linuxis...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Don't take our word for it, go look for yourself.
>>
>>> I could give you examples of how that forum works, I could give you
>>> links that show what we are saying, but NOTHING can prepare you for
>>> what you really find on the Ubuntu user forums.
>>
>> Okay but at least Ubuntu is good for new users and Windows convert and
>> for those doesn't it give a learning curve in Linux?
>
> That's debatable; it generally means that the amount of time that
> passes before they realise that Linux is not Windows is increased. It
> definitely gets them booted into a desktop environment quicker, but it
> doesn't really save on the learning curve - something will go awry
> sooner or later, and the fact that they've had the command-line hidden
> from them until that first fateful trip to the forums won't feel like
> such a benefit then.

I got started with Linux via Red Hat 5.2. (Pre-Fedora, pre-RHEL days).
I used it for only a few days before switching to Debian. If I hadn't
seen Red Hat's relatively automagic setup of X, and the availability
of all the tools to do things I wanted using a GUI interface, I
probably would have hopped back to Windows 95.

As it was, seeing that GUI and knowing that a familiar interface was
what left me willing to deal with the couple weeks it took me to learn
how to set up XFree86 3.3.6 on Debian.[1] Fortunately, just about
every Linux distro, including Gentoo, has much better resource for
getting a GUI up and running, so a modern newbie experience shouldn't
be nearly so taxing on initial patience.

Sure, being able to learn a system inside and out is a good thing, but
you need to get past that initial hurdle before you're ready to tackle
it, and Ubuntu handles that initial hurdle quite well. Give a user six
months to a year, and they'll grow tired of Ubuntu constantly breaking
their customizations, and they'll probably switch to Debian or Linux
Mint. I've watched that leap several times now. A few of them
eventually leave Debian or Mint for Gentoo. Some land on Fedora or
OpenSuSE, but they're usually heavily working with RHEL or CentOS in
other contexts.

[1] Luckily, I wasn't even an adolescent yet; I don't think I'd have
had the time or patience for that as an adult.

--
:wq