John Dangler wrote:
I just finished the base install of the 2005.1 system (2.6.12-r6).  When I
run emerge -sync, and then emerge -uDvp system, I get a short list updates
that portage wants to emerge, but there aren't any kernel updates.  However,
if I run emerge -uDvp world, there is a new version of the gentoo-sources
(2.6.12-r9).  Why wouldn't kernel updates be included in a system emerge?

The packages in your system come from
/etc/make.profile/packages
(Note: do *not* edit this file)

The packages considered for world are the ones from system plus the ones in /var/lib/portage/world The world file is where portage records the packages you emerged, e.g. when you typed emerge gentoo-sources it recorded it there.

I suppose the reason the kernel is not in the system file is that this file is a kind of 'factory-defaults', which you shouldn't be normally changing. But there is more than just one kernel source tarball avilable in portage, e.g. gentoo-sources, vanilla-sources and some more. Putting this in the system file would unnecessarily constrain your choice as to which kernel to run.

Marco