On 13.12.2011 01:44, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> On my system, /usr/portage currently contains 127000 files. But for reason of
> increased performance I put it into a squashfs file.  (There was a nice howto
> on this ML some months ago).  You could try that, which will free those inodes
> up and ideally leaves you with one used inode for the squashfs image. Plus, if
> you have enough RAM, you could put /var/tmp/portage into tmpfs. I have 3GB,
> and this is fairly enough. For other hogs like firefox, LO and java, I use
> binary packages though.
> For comparision, I too have one (seldom two) kernel source trees and
> everything
> else on / except /home. And while of the 17GB capacity barely 1GB is left
> free,
> I still have 480k inodes free of the 1M in total. (I figured that I may have
> more space for content if I reserved less for inodes).
I had portage in a squashfs before too - that was nice :)
That's also the reason I had /usr/portage /var/cache/edb and /var/db/pkg
on one filesystem - all together in the squashfs :)
Because one day my / became full I moved /usr/src onto that partition
too (it was now on a reiser3fs). All fine, and other partitions less
fragmented... until I moved to ext4.

Now I have a SSD, and it's simpler than squashfs'ing and still fast.
distfiles is on a HDD (Thinkpad notebook with ultrabay - love it) and
compilation on tmpfs (8GB RAM, so no problems). I always have like 8
kernel trees lying around, so there are already like 400k files... For
various reasons I like to keep my stuff on separate partitions -> my
system is distributed over 6 partitions and my personal data over 3
partitions :)

That inode-trouble was actually quiet interesting ;)

Daniel

--
PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
# gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887