On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 12:46 AM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael Mol wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Alex Schuster<wo...@wonkology.org>
>>  wrote:

>>> BTW, emerge -a @x11-module-rebuild will do this.
>>>
>>>        Wonko
>>>
>> emerge: There are no sets to satisfy 'x11-module-rebuild'. The
>> following sets exist:
>>
>>     selected
>>     system
>>     world
>>

> Someone posted this one liner a while back:
>
> emerge -1a $(qlist -I -C x11-drivers/)
>
> That takes care of the video driver, mouse, keyboard and such.  Mine is
> these packages:
>
> root@fireball / # qlist -I -C x11-drivers/
> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev
> x11-drivers/xf86-video-nv
> x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa
> root@fireball / #

I wound up doing something similar, involving a mix of eix, grep and sed.

> I try to remember to run that when I upgrade the kernel or xorg.  I usually
> forget and have to do the SysReq keystroke magic.  After I slap my forehead
> of course.

I still don't know the SysReq magic. I've just ssh'd in. If I can't do
that, it usually means something hardlocked.

> There are quite a few of these commands that gets posted from time to time.
>  As a hint, I have a text file in my /root directory that contains the
> commands and a description.  I just cat and grep the file when I need to.  I
> wouldn't recommend a user directory tho.  If for someone reason only root is
> mounted, then you can get to /root but not /home if it is a separate
> partition.  You, and other Gentooers, may want to think about doing
> something like this.
>
> Hope this helps in some small way.

Funny thing is, I thought I'd taken care of it. It didn't crop up for
me until xscreensaver kicked in, which crashed X due to differeing ABI
versions between what was already running and what xscreensaver tried
to get linked in. Guess I should remember to restart X. :)

--
:wq