Am 25.12.2011 19:56, schrieb Michael Volland:
> Hi,
>
> our public library uses Adobe Digital Rights Management.
> That means you download a paper/book and open it with acroread.
>
> It used to work fine with gentoo ~amd64 but not with ~x86 and x86.
> (I assume it works with amd64 as well, can't just test it)
>
> Acroread always crashed, when I tried to open a drm-protected document
> on x84-installations.
>
> The reason is, that acroread (acroread-9.4.2) is installed as binary,
> but dynamically linked and when you open a drm-protected document, it
> tries to load the non-existing library /usr/lib32/libidn.so.11.
>
> To reproduce:
> in xterm:
> $ export ACRODEBUG=1
> $ acroread
>
> now open drm-protected document
>
> dlopen: libidn.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
>
> This library is part of app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-baselibs-20110928
> which is usually installed with non-x86 installations.
>
> So I installed emul-linux-x86-baselibs and did set a softlink from
> /usr/lib32/libidn.so.11 to /usr/lib. It works fine.
>
> But lately I ran into problems after upgrading gcc. I couldn't emerge
> qt-gui
> anymore. Actually I had to remove the link, rename /usr/lib32 and
> reemerge gcc. Then it was possible to emerge qt-gui.
>
> Any suggestions?
> Could there be a library on x86 installation, that one could use?
> Could I hide the library from ebuilds other than acroread?
> Should I file a gentoo-bug-report?
>
> Greetings
> Michael

Solution: File a bug on b.g.o. Maybe the acroread dev can bundle a
libidn.so.11 with acroread.

Workaround: Symlink libidn.so.11 on some location outside the usual lib
directory structure (I suggest /usr/local/acroread/lib). Create a shell
script wrapper around acroread which calls
`LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/acroread/lib acroread`

That way, only acroread will "see" this lib.

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp