On 01/01/2012 05:06 PM, Michael Mol wrote:
On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Michael Orlitzky<mich...@orlitzky.com>  wrote:
Using "emerge --update foo" adds "foo" to your world file. This is
responsible for pretty much every package that incorrectly found its way
into one of my world files.

Is there any reason to desire the current behavior? I'd like to suggest that
it be fixed, but want to be sure I'm not just being short-sighted.

Pretty sure that's what -1 is for. I'm just getting the hang of it myself.

Well, I know what I'm *supposed* to do. My complaint is basically that I sometimes forget to add -1 with -u, and that bad things happen as a result.

But why should I have to add -1 along with it? Is there any reason you would ever want -u to add a package to your world file? If not, we can avoid headaches in the future by making it do the sane (not harmful) thing.