On Jan 6, 2012 8:50 AM, "Dale" <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alan McKinnon wrote:
>>
>> I see that as a liability not a feature. Our routers have very clear
naming conventions for interfaces and they are exactly how Cisco enumerates
them and no other way. It's a firing offense to dick with them and dream up
useless "descriptive names". Mind you, these for the most part are big iron
with several 1000 interfaces each and 100+ support personnel working on
them. But even the on-site routers and firewalls at customer premises have
the same rule. I assume we are talking about kit that routes properly
(whether a Unix or something else is not relevant) and not some joke
system. As for NICs that do not come up at boot time in a consistent order,
if any piece of hardware in our DC did that it would be sent right back to
the vendor labeled as a piece of shit with a demand for a refund. FFS, if
my boss shells out 3 months wages for some iron and it can't even get
something that basic correct, I start to wonder what else might be dodgy.
There is ZERO excuse for a system that cannot deterministically enumerate
it's fixed devices at boot time.

> I have a couple desktop rigs.  I had a card that would sometimes not do
right and change the order of my cards numbering.  Since it was earlier
than the card that hooked to my modem, it would mess up my connection to
the internet.  The card was eth0 and I had internet coming through on eth2.
 That rig now has two nics.  The defective nic was removed.  It has a new
address called /dev/dump.

> It may be a desktop rig but I like them being recognized the same each
time I reboot.  Although, I forgot about being able to give them names. <
scratches chin >  Nah, I'll leave well enough alone.  It's working and we
don't mess with what is working, except for Fedora devs.  lol

mdev is capable of renaming devices, you know ;-)

https://svn.mcs.anl.gov/repos/ZeptoOS/trunk/BGP/packages/busybox/src/docs/mdev.txt

Rgds,