Ah, the "profile" threw me. I was thinking profiles and not the emerge
system I had done originally.

I use nano so I guess I can unmerge it safely.  But I'm still at a loss
why the warning should come up.  Emacs is not listed in base/packages
nor linux-default/packages nor x86/packages and finally not in
2005.0/packages.  I am correct in thinking these constitute "system,"
right.  It also is not in my make.conf nor is it pulled in by any other
package (emerge info does not list it as a USE flag).

Tony

Willie Wong wrote:

>emacs provides virtual/editor
>
>The system profile is a set of programs that is necessary for your
>computer to boot and build other programs. One of this things you need
>to do to boot a computer is to edit the configuration files in /etc,
>for that you need an editor. The system profile (you can see what it
>brings in by "emerge --emptytree --pretend system") requires something
>that satisfies virtual/editor, and by default I think gentoo uses
>nano. If you have another editor, like nano, or vim, or pico, then you
>should be fine to unmerge emacs.

>On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 04:50:50PM -0500, Anthony E. Caudel wrote:
>

>>I was going to unmerge emacs ( I don't use it ) but was warned:
>>
>>!!! Trying to unmerge package(s) in system profile. 'app-editors/emacs'
>>!!! This could be damaging to your system.
>>
>>What is my system profile?  Is it my default profile:
>>
>>/usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2005.0?
>>
>>and why would emacs be in there.  I looked in the files in there and did
>>not find anything significant.
>>
>>Tony
>>

>>--
>>Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary
>>Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
>>   -- Benjamin Franklin
>>
>>--

   -- Benjamin Franklin