Hartmut Figge wrote:
Dale:

I have Fluxbox installed here too.  I logged out of KDE and into
Fluxbox.  Seamonkey does NOT play the sound when in Fluxbox.
:)

It appears that KDE takes care of that when I am logged into it. So,
you may need to figure out how to make the GUI take care of yours.
I seem to recall from the wine groups, that KDE uses pulseaudio. And
this one is causing a lot of trouble in wine.

I don't have pulseaudio installed here so my KDE is not using it. I did some digging into the ebuilds. KDE can use either pulseaudio or alsa. It appears mine is using alsa. Maybe you should enable the alsa USE flag? That should pull in alsa and rebuild the packages that can use it. The command emerge -uaDN world should catch them all.

This is from -dev.  Note the last paragraph:

"Hi folks,

Today, I was shocked to find that the EsounD daemon is still in the tree
and new ebuilds are actually still pulling it in under USE=esd!

Proposal: package.mask media-sound/esound, use.mask USE=esd. Anything
that still uses it should stop using it. Anything that /needs it/ should
be purged from the tree with extreme prejudice[1].

I'll do the first two today, and the rest of the rituals necessary to
complete the exorcism will take a month. Help in this regard is welcome
since the job is rather straightforward.
*URKS*. Hm, how to translate this one into English? *g*

Thanks!

1. In exceptional cases, a dependency on pulseaudio will also suffice
since pulseaudio emulates an esound socket while running with
`module-protocol-esound-unix` loaded, which is the default.
Have you tried pulseaudio?
No. And i do *not* want pulseaudio.

Then alsa should work.  Sort of covered that above.

Also, it seems esound is a Gnome sort of thing.
It would be interesting to know, if Gnome is using pulseaudio...

Maybe see what they are using nowadays and try that.
...and if not, what else.

Other than this, I have no other ideas.  It seems you need some sort of
sound daemon.  Question is which one.
Good question. :-D

Hartmut

I would try alsa. It works fine here. I can play music and still hear all the other sounds that come along, such as getting emails and such. I admit tho, I hate watching a movie then hearing other sounds.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output?  Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"