Last night I did an:

  emerge --update --deep world

Reviewing logs this morning I find in 3125-glibc-2.3.5-r1.log the
following:

  QA Notice: /usr/lib/misc/glibc/pt_chown is setXid, dynamically
    linked and using lazy bindings.
  This combination is generally discouraged. Try:
    CFLAGS='-Wl,-z,now' emerge glibc

I can see a couple of problems with this:

1.) Wouldn't that compile glibc without any optimization settings? So
    what I would rather do is merge the suggestion with my default
    CFLAGS. Resulting in:

      CFLAGS='-O3 -march=athlon-xp -Wl,-z,now' emerge glibc

    Does this seem reasonable?

2.) My impression of how portage works is that the next time glibc is
    updated it will compile with the default again. Is there some place
    to set this on a permanent basis?

Tom Naujokas