Am 10.01.2012 22:42, schrieb Jarry:
> On 10-Jan-12 22:18, Florian Philipp wrote:
>
>>> Wouldn't it make more sense to get the clock set correctly on bootup
>>> with ntpdate, and then have ntpd keep things in line moving forward?
>>> Otherwise, every couple hours, you'd have your cron'd ntpddate jumping
>>> the clock around. I've had apps get stuck in infinite loops from
>>> retrograde clocks, and having it happen at the wrong time during a
>>> compile process has its own context-sensitive consequences.
>>>

>> It depends on how bad your clock is. If the skew is too large, ntpd
>> cannot keep up, even if you initially set it to the correct time. If
>> your clock is too good and doesn't drift, you can just forget ntpd and
>> save the RAM for something you actually need.
>
> "step threshold" is 0.128s if default settings for ntpd are used.
> If time difference is less, time is corrected using "slewing"
> (depending on kernel settings, in my case +/- 0.5ms per second).
> If it is more, "stepping" is used instead.
>
> So there is no way ndpd could not keep up. But changing time
> with "stepping" might cause problems for some applications
> (i.e. dovecot in some previous versions just died). If ntpd
> is configured with "tinker step 0", step adjustments never
> occur. But if clock is off more than 0.5ms/s, time gets never
> synchronised and deviation will keep increasing...
>
> Jarry

I can't find the counter example I had in mind on the archive now. Since
your explanation sounds sensible, I guess that in that other thread some
configuration issue was also involved or ntpd simply took too long to
skew back to correct time (as the man-page states, this might take 2000s
per second difference).

Regards,
Florian Philipp