wrote:
> > On Sunday 21 August 2005 16:35, Thomas Kirchner wrote:
> > > * On Aug 21 15:37, Volker Armin Hemmann ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

> > > Not sure I buy that.  I've used my Plextor-burned discs in plenty of
> > > other computers and they haven't had any trouble reading them, either.
> > > They didn't earn their reputation for quality by making coasters.
> > > Tom
> >
> > I do not own a plextor, but I trust the c't magazine which did a lot of
> > dvd-burner tests and Plextor is one of the burners which like to write
> > fast, but with a lot of errors.
> >
> > Only because the dvdr does not make problems now, it does not mean, that
> > it will not make problems in the future, when some scratches are
> > accumulated.
> >
> > But... LG was much worse.. ;)
>
> Hmmm.  While warnings about particular brands might be of some help, I
> would much prefer to see the make/model of comparably priced items that
> were rated good.  I'm trying to buy, after all, not discard existing stuff.
>
> Nevertheless, this is helpful (I think) because I was starting to lean
> towards a Plextor PX-740A-BP OEM drive.  Now I'll wait to see what others
> say.

to be honest, none of the tested writers were perfect.
Some had problems with -r, some with +r, some burned good at low speeds but
badly on higher ones - and most of these tried to burn as fast as possible,
resulting in high error counts.

You should visit some websites dedicated to dvd(rw) tests, and/or read some
good magazine - not ones, who are giving 'best products' awards and say '
good results on matsabanony (to make up a totally random name)' but don't say,
that you cannot buy this blanks in 95% of the world and totally not say that
this device sucks with every other brand, but magazines, that test about a
wide range of blanks, and explain every bit about their testing, how they
detect&count the errors, differences between the errors, how many errors are
allowed to be within the specs, geometric errors of the blanks etc pp.

Don't look at awards, look at the important fact: does this writer does it job
well with the blanks you can buy around the corner? Does it a good job at the
sppeds I want to use? Does it burn the type dvd-'standard', I want to use(-r,
+r, -rw,+rw,dl,-ram)? How much do you want to pay?
Friends are not always a good source.. only because they haven't discovered
the hidden traps of accumulated errors, does not mean, that you won't, so
read tests and decide for yourself - oh, and firmware updates are important
too. Luckily there are almost always dostools availabe, not always from the
vendor, but...

After that, you'll find the perfect burner for you.
It may not the perfect burner for someone else, but that is ok - everybody has
his own needs. -ram people are pretty stuck to LG and are able to deal with
it ;)