On 1/20/2012 5:37 PM, Grant wrote:
I have an old Gentoo system that hasn't been updated or used at all in
at least 2 years.  It's remote but I have SSH access.  I've updated
portage but I thought I should check with you guys before I plow ahead
with emerge -DuN world.  It won't be used for anything until I bring
it up to speed and someone can physically log in and issue commands a
couple times per week so an outage isn't the end of the world.  Any
advice?

- Grant

You will likely pull in the 'new' OpenRC ebuild during your update process (sys-apps/open-rc i believe). Watch out for this!

If you merge it you must make sure all your configs are up to date in /etc or your server won't come back following a restart (etc-update, dispatch-conf, etc.). You'll want to move over any settings in /etc/conf.d/rc to /etc/rc.conf.

Upgrade guide: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml

Good luck.

--
EJ