On 12 February 2012 00:11, Alecks Gates <fuzzylunk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2012 6:54 PM, "Michael Mol" <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> So I've got Inara in position to be my HTPC box. Tried installing
>> MythTV, but I can't make heads or tails of how to have it do the
>> things I'd like it to do:
>>
>> * Play DVDs inserted into the DVD drive
>> * Hit streaming websites like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Youtube, etc.
>> * Play video and audio files I already have.
>> * Launch games like StepMania and/or Frets on Fire.
> XBMC should do everything you're looking for, with a few plugins (launcher,
> youtube, bluecop?).  I don't know the state of Hulu or Netflix (last I
> checked Netflix doesn't work due to Mono (Moonlight) DRM issues), but the
> xbmc forums should have that info.
>
> It's a very lovely program, and is just about to come out with a new release
> too.

+1

Although you'll need to hack around to get calling to external
applications working (Stepmania), and at least historically, XBMC has
pretty high CPU usage when in the background.

For video capture, you're stuck using Myth, but there's xbmc->myth
connectivity in the new release. (I think that it's a new feature, at
least)