On 02/15/2012 04:23 AM, Daniel D Jones wrote:
> Doing a world upgrade gives me:
>
> root@kushiel / # emerge -uDvatN world
>
> These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
>
> emerge: there are no ebuilds built with USE flags to satisfy "sys-
> apps/pciutils[-zlib]".
> !!! One of the following packages is required to complete your request:
> - sys-apps/pciutils-3.1.7::gentoo (Change USE: -zlib)
> (dependency required by "sys-fs/udev-171-r5[hwdb]" [ebuild])
                                              ^^^^

The problem is caused by the hwdb useflag, though I had to read the udev
ebuild file to understand the error message :-/

RDEPEND="${COMMON_DEPEND}
        hwdb?
        (
                >=sys-apps/usbutils-0.82
                sys-apps/pciutils[-zlib]  <<<<<<<<<<<<<< look here
        )

That syntax means "if you want hwdb support in udev you must disable zlib
for pciutils".  I have no idea why the two are incompatible, but it sounds
to me like "an implementation detail" thingy.

In any case, if you need -zlib in one package and zlib in another you can
set/unset the needed flag for just one package in /etc/portage/package.use.