On Wednesday 22 Feb 2012 00:22:27 Philip Webb wrote:
> 120222 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> >> [... big linking being done ...]

> >> [...]
> >> Do you have enough memory on that machine, is swap space activated?
> >> The linking phase will need a lot of memory.
> >> Although I don't understand why ld would terminate with signal 9 then.
> >
> > When there's not enough memory available, signal 9 is actually
> > how the system recovers from that, by killing the offending process.
> > dmesg should have given a clue about what happened in that case.
>
> I compiled FF 10.0.1 on amd64 without any problems :
> it needed  3,61 GB  disk space for the link stage
> & most/all of my  2 GB  memory.

Thanks guys, I did add half a gig of swap just in case to the 250M already
available.  It may be that this old box is now soooo old that I can no longer
emerge FF on it.  I will try adding some more swap (which of course will take
away available disk space for /var/portage) and see what I run out of.

PS.  I was expecting some message on screen saying "no space left on device",
but have not checked dmesg for running out memory errors.
--
Regards,
Mick