On Sat, 2012-02-25 at 05:34 -0600, Dale wrote:
> Carlos Sura wrote:
> >

> > On 24 February 2012 22:04, John <irgu...@gmail.com
> > <mailto:irgu...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Friday, February 24, 2012 21:12 Pandu Poluan wrote:
> >     > On Feb 25, 2012 10:06 AM, "John" <irgu...@gmail.com
> >     <mailto:irgu...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >      <snip>
> >
> >     >
> >     > Have a look at Sabayon. It's Gentoo-based, but it comes with binary
> >     > repository (although you can easily use portage if you want).
> >     >
> >     > It offers 'out of the box' support for KDE4, xfce, or gnome3.
> >     Others are
> >     > available but you have to compile them yourself (via portage).
> >     >
> >     > Rgds,
> >
> >      Will do. Thank you!
> >

> >     --
> >     There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good
> >     American. The only man who
> >     is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.
> >      -Theodore Roosevelt,
> >     1915
> >

> > Gentoo is for everyone. And I love it!
> >
> > --
> > Carlos Sura.-
> > www.carlossura.com <http://www.carlossura.com/>
> >

> I used to be on dial-up as most old timers here may recall.  Here are
> the bad things:  Libreoffice and a full KDE upgrade.  It would take me
> DAYS to download everything.  Heck, it takes me a while and I have DSL
> now.  Just be prepared.
>
> I don't know about your area but here, DSL was cheaper than dial-up when
> I first got it.  Right now, they are the same price, last I checked on
> the dial-up prices anyway.  You may want to check those prices IF you
> can get DSL.
>
> Is Gentoo doable, yea.  Does it take patience, yep it does.  Dial-up is
> slow.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

gentoo over dialup is do-able - but be smart about it.  If you have
access to a fast link, build a list of packages and download, burn to
CD/usb key and take them back home.

You only need to download a package once ... don't delete anything
in /usr/portage/distfiles as over time you might want to make changes,
or a library change creeps in so you will occasionally need to recompile
a package.

If you have more than one system, look into http-replicator or share
over nfs

Use "emerge -f package_list" to download into the distfiles directory
files well ahead of when the "emerge package_list" will need them ...
there is no need to waste time waiting for compilation to finish and
letting the bandwidth go to waste.

Other users on the link complainiung about the bandwidth your using? -
look into bandwidth limiting arguments for whatever fetch process you
are using.

I am sure there are others Ive missed :)

BillK