On Sunday, February 26, 2012 07:36 Dale wrote:
> Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
>  I'm the resident old fart around here
>

> I beg your pardon.  ;-)
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

  Heh, if I can find someone close by that has a fast connection, I bet *I'll*
be the new
resident old fart at 50 years of age just this last Monday the 20th.

  I figure if I can find a fast connection, I can get what I need downloaded
and burned
onto a dvd. I'll just 'update' things one or two at a time so that it's easy on
my dial-up
connection. If I really, really need to update something like a kernel or
something else
that's huge for a dial-up download, I'll just find that fast connection again
and put it
on a cd or dvd (I *can) 'update' (emerge? still trying to get all the
nomenclature down)
from a cd or dvd, right?) and do it that way.

  A question about the stage 3 tarball thing...if I download that instead of
the iso
(which is for 486 and up, whereas the tarball is 686 and better), how do I burn
it (the
tarball) as an iso onto a dvd so I can install Gentoo? Also, Distrowatch.com
says that
Gentoo has the latest in 'packages' as Feb 26, yet when I downloaded the
tarball of
CONTENTS, it shows mostly things (gcc, glibc, kernel, etc) that are used in the
January
release of Gentoo 12.0, not what Distrowatch has in their list of up-to-date
lib's and
such for the 26th of Feb. Where do I find the 'package' that Distrowatch seems
to have
found with almost everything being the latest and greatest?

--
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a
pretty and